Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thanksgiving Thoughts

"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, 
fluttering from the autumn tree."
                                                                                  ...Emily Bronte


It's hard to go for a walk these days without being struck by the beauty of all the trees around us!  And it's hard not to think about Thanksgiving as it approaches next week.  I love reading all the blogs with descriptions of table settings, recipes, and family gatherings.  But the truth is that everyone has a different Thanksgiving and that is ok.  For some people, November is a sad month, with the time change and the darkness.  I can't seem to decorate because I think of all the people who lost their homes or are without power because of Hurricane Sandy. This year, it seems a countdown to when all the leaves will finally fall.


It's like work-waiting, a package of pansies waiting to be planted.  My grown men sons will be here for Thanksgiving and the four of us will go to a local restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner.  They can pick and choose from their favorites and we will see the usual crowd.  Then we will all come home for dessert, pie.  My son's don't care about decorations, just plenty of pumpkin pie.  I'll save my decorations for when I someday have daughter-in-laws and grandchildren who will appreciate them!  For now, we will just have plenty of pie!  Everyone's Thanksgiving is different.


 After we come home from dinner, the men folk will go out and try to out do each other chopping wood.  Good for them!  I can sit in the swing all bungled up holding my striped cat, Elizabeth, and be their cheerleader.  Sure beats cleaning up the kitchen a couple of hours!


When I was a young wife and mother, I tried my hardest to create a Norman Rockwell type Thanksgiving.  I was always disappointed and just beat!  I always ended up crying when it was all over. I read years ago that people had conflict when they had different expectations.  I expected a wonderful, warm, family feeling sharing Thanksgiving dinner.  My men expected good food to eat!  


Hope you have that special Thanksgiving meal with your loved ones no matter how you do it!  Do what works!  Take a break during Thanksgiving and don't work so hard.  Enjoy the people you love.!

Love to you all!
Lottie

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lottie, Thanks for reminding us what is important. Have a happy Thanksgiving! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! We will have a somewhat mixed Thanksgiving this year...celebrate with food and then say a final goodbye to our nephew we just lost...it makes me want to hold onto my husband and sons that much tighter right now. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have sometimes thought about eating out on Thanksgiving. It seems like it takes forever to prepare things and to do clean up!! But I think the problem around us is we like a quiet atmosphere for eating (since some of the men have hearing problems)---this is hard to find at a location close to us. I also love the smell of the turkey cooking---just the memories too that the smell sparks. But I am going to let the boys provide some of the dishes (my daughter will be going to inlaws house this year). As far as decorations go---I have not really done much either. I look forward to a time of sharing our thoughts on what we are Thankful for and then possibly some foot ball ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lottie, I read this post in amazement as I just scheduled a post on this very subject for Sun. 18th. Sometimes women do let guilt take over if we can't provide a Norman Rockwell scene every year. But families do change over the years. The desire will always be there for me, to have the "perfect" holiday but energy runs low and when our kids grow up we do have to pass the torch along and also let them choose how they want to spend the holidays. Nothing should be set in stone. For the last two years one of our sons and his wife (who works long hours in retail) chose to go to a movie and out to eat together on Thanksgiving Day, and you know what? I just want them to do what makes them happy. And there comes a day that we moms and dads have to do what makes us happy. I told my kids recently that I'm tired of planning things, that it's time for them to do the planning. And as far as Christmas goes, we can celebrate it with them any day of the week.

    Time for eating out and going back to the house for dessert has come to our family too!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice post and you're so right. Sometimes we are too hard on ourselves. The older I get the more I do love to focus on what is important - to enjoy family and friends!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete