Saturday, February 9, 2013

Double-Chocolate Brownies

What in the world am I doing a few days before Valentine's Day making brownies?  Well, I'm doing research. (wink"-)  I'm trying to find a brownie that tastes good, that is easy to make, and I can count carbs on a diabetes-friendly diet but doesn't use artificial sweetener. What I wanted was a brownie at about 100 calories and about 15 carbs so I could exchange it as a slice of bread every couple of days. 

I wanted a recipe I could make quickly and always have the ingredients on hand.  Then I could make a batch and freeze individual slices between wax paper for those times when you just want some chocolate!
These turned out pretty good!  They have a real chocolate taste but not a really sweet taste although the recipe calls for sugar.  I froze them and OMG! they were even better!  I'll post the recipe, but you can print it out for yourself.  click here.

Double-Chocolate Brownies


Nutritional Info (Per serving):  16 servings
Calories: 113, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 37mg, Dietary Fiber: 0g, Total Fat: 4g, Carbs: 17g, Cholesterol: 8mg, Protein: 1g
 

 

Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins (It took me about 10 extra min.)

Ingredients

  • cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup(s) butter
  • 2/3 cup(s) sugar, granulated
  • 1/2 cup(s) water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup(s) flour, all-purpose
  • 1/4 cup(s) cocoa powder, unsweetened
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup(s) chocolate chips, semisweet miniature
  • 2 teaspoon sugar, powdered

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat the bottom of a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, being careful not to coat sides of pan.

2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter; remove from heat. Stir in granulated sugar, the water, and vanilla. Stir in flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder until combined. Stir in chocolate pieces. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Remove from pan. Cut into 16 bars. Sprinkle with the powdered sugar.

Note:  I didn't have chocolate chips but I did have half a Hersey bar hidden away so I chopped those up.
                                                                                                                                                                           
My whole family enjoyed these brownies!  This recipe is a keeper!  Hope you enjoy them, too!

Lottie

Linked to Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Lottie, I love brownie's

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to do a lot of "research" in the kitchen, don't we, Lottie? It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it! These look so good and chocolaty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good--I have always enjoyed frozen brownies (I have to have GF now adays). A lot of brownies are a bit too sweet for me. I sometimes just mix a brownie mix with a can of pumpkin and that is it and make muffins out of them. They are gooooie,lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, don't those look yummy.

    I'd love to have one right now!

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look yummy! Not sure I could make them and not eat them all at once though. You have more willpower than me.

    ReplyDelete