Monday, October 31, 2011

Jack's Trees

It is difficult to realize how great a part of all that is cheerful and delightful in the recollections of our own life is associated with trees.  ~Wilson Flagg
This is what I see everyday when I walk to my mailbox.
I think they are a particular type of maple, but I just 
call them Jack's trees.  Jack was my neighbor who set
these trees out when he moved across the street.  He was
in his 70's. 
 At the time I thought it was a silly thing to do.  After all,
he had plenty of oak trees in his yard already.  Why clutter
up the yard with more trees?  But according to Jack, he
loved this particular tree because it was so pretty in the fall.
He was right.
 Jack is in heaven now.  I'm sure of it!  He left more than 
beautiful trees in the fall.  He left smiles on a lot of people's
faces! :-)  If you were in your driveway and he walked out his
door, he would holler "Hello" such that everyone for miles
heard him.  He was just that way!  I miss Jack.  
 Jack's family misses him, too.  He had lots of grandchildren.
This little tree was planted a few years ago across from my house.  I can almost hear a big "Hello" when I see it!

Wouldn't it be nice to be remembered by other people by our
big "Hello" and the beautiful red maple trees we planted?  

Have a wonderful Halloween!
Love always,
Lottie

6 comments:

  1. Lottie, it sounds like you live in a nice neighborhood. It is wonderful to hear someone planting trees instead of cutting them down. Love your header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it sure would. Thanks for sharing these lovely memories and beautiful trees...which I am pretty darn sure are sugar maples. I have one here and just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous trees, such a wonderful way to leave a memory and a legacy - This tree is gorgeous in the Fall. Thank you for sharing,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, both in picture and words. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Lottie...what a sweet story. Must admit it made me tear up a little bit. Jack's trees are absouletly beautiful...what a wonderful and special memory. Thank you for sharing...Oh, and thank you for stopping by my blog for a visit. Hope you come and visit again soon. Wishing you an awesome thanksgiving day.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete