Friday, July 27, 2018

Walking at the Lake

A lake is the landscape’s most beautiful and expressive feature. It is earth’s eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature.                                                                                                - Henry David Thoreau
       Friends, this is a picture of a lake next to the walking track by  Hartwell Dam in Georgia.  DH has been driving me here the last couple of weekends so I can walk with my hiking poles. I walk a half mile out, sit on a bench to rest and look at the lake, turn around and walk back a half mile to the parking lot. All this work so I can get in a mile walk. I love being here! 

I have to walk with hiking poles when I walk distances now.  I am trying to manage Parkinson's Disease.  I am 63 years old.  Sometimes when I am walking on the track, I get into a rhythm with my feet and my poles and I concentrate on the clacking and stepping sounds while I enjoy the beautiful blue of the water  and catch as many endorphins as I can.
 
You may think it would be dull to sit here with the quiet and peacefulness, but plenty of excitement finds us. 

 DH walks our dog, Sardis, and there are encounters with every walker and their dog, or dogs.  A walker with her little white poodle passed us and the dogs had to kiss Eskimo style.  So cute!  Its funny how so many people passing by want to pet our big yellow dog.  


As I was walking last weekend, a loud male voice behind me broke my rhythm with, "On the right side!" I quickly moved over to the left. Behind me was a fancy road bicycle with a young man with long skinny arms and legs and a pointed helmet that reminded me of a giant praying mantis.  He rode pass us quickly.  I was a little taken aback because I was clearly in the wrong.  I just kept walking with my hiking poles, and my sweet husband, and our sweet dog.  

DH also took his bike with him to ride across the top of the dam last weekend, and the track was really quiet warm.  There are no trees by the track so he was riding along in the sun. But the track was level and it made it easy to bike the three miles across the dam and back. 

We had a beautiful time! Next time we are going to pack a picnic lunch! Have a great day today!  Hurray for the endorphins!


Lottie  😀


4 comments:

  1. That biker should have gone around YOU. HE was the one in the wrong. Having said that, you do have to watch out for bikers because they go very fast and they can hurt you, so please be cautious. We have had to dodge bikers on our walks. They are not all so inconsiderate but some are terrible. Good for you for walking, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I will pay more attention to the bikers in the future!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I noticed your comment on my lackadaisical posting on my blog.I didn't realize you had Parkinson's! How are you doing? We have moved to the Greenville, SC area and live in a small town near Greenville. We are loving the change---much prefer mountains to beach area of SC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! I am doing well. Just a little slower these days. So glad to hear you have moved to the upstate! I live in Anderson about 30 miles south of Greenville, SC. Now get to work on your blog and start posting again! :-)
      mybluecottage@gmail.com

      Delete