Monday, July 15, 2013

Voice of an Old Friend

Hello Bloggy Friends!  Our hearts jumped for joy this week!  Many years ago dear husband inherited this beautiful reed organ.  It didn't work.  The peddles didn't work and when you played the keys, all you heard was silence.  We still loved it and it stood in a prominent corner in our dining room. Year after year I lovingly dusted and polished it.  Oh, how beautiful it looked decorated for Christmas!



 
I have noticed the name Farrand & Votey above the keyboard for years but for some reason I looked at it a little harder.  I wondered what would I find if I did a Google search?  I found the history of the organ (1890) and everything you would want to know about reed organs!  Youtube provided tutorials on repair and restoration.  Dear husband watched the tutorials and discovered the organ was in incredible condition in the workings.  He took a chance and connected the straps from the foot peddles to the bellows.  Then he sat down and played!
Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music
 is the greatest treasure in the world.
                                                                                                - Martin Luther


I love to hear dear husband playing old songs.  The sound is deep and rich and seeps into every room of the blue cottage.  It is an amazing sound, like the voice of an old friend.

Thank you for stopping by to visit today!  I hope you have a great week!
Love,
Lottie


To hear a Farrand & Votey reed organ click here.

Click here for a page of links on reed organ information.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, just think, all that time it was ready to play except for a couple of steps! Smart Lottie, and smart husband. This is beautiful as it was but so nice that you can now enjoy hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting for you to find out
    that the organ works!

    Enjoy!

    :)

    ReplyDelete