Saturday, August 30, 2014

Chats on the Farmhouse Porch


It's time for this fun little weekly Chats on the Farmhouse Porch.  Please join us! Visit Everyday Ruralty.
CHAT #154

Everyday Ruralty

  QUESTIONS
1.  Please tell me something you have done recently that was really fun? 
I love to watch horses run and participate in action packed competitions! Really, I'm a little old retired librarian who just discovered Cowboy Mounted Shooting!  (I just watch!)  Men, women and children all ages participate.  First, you have the smartest looking horse you've ever seen take off running between sticks with balloons.  The rider, dressed like a cowboy, (or pioneer woman), shoots the balloons (using blanks) as the horses weaves back and forth.  There are ten balloons and your gun fires six blanks so you have to put your gun in the holster and pull out another one, all with the rider shooting out the next balloon and holding on to the horse!  It is down right exciting to watch!  Go to the 4 min. video and click here!


2.  Do you worry about any issues regarding food/food quality/food production?
I wish I had worried more!  All my life I've eaten unhealthy, processed food and as a result I have medical issues I battle everyday.  I now eat as close to local and unprocessed as I can.  Reading Micheal Pollen's book, In Defense of Food, changed my life.  I do worry about the sanitation conditions involved in food production.

3.  Have you painted any of  your walls with colors other than white, beige, or tan?
LOL!  When I was very young, I painted rooms gold and green.  I painted the nursery apricot and then after having an ultrasound discovered we were having a boy. DH painted the nursery white immediately!  Since then I've kept the walls a neutral color.

4.  What is your favorite way to have a hamburger?  If you do not eat meat, what is your favorite sandwich?
I love a hamburger hot off the grill with cheese slice, pickles, mustard, mayo, ketchup on a toasted onion bun! Yummy!

5.  Please finish this sentence.  If I could, I'd like to play  _____.  This could be a musical instrument, a part in a play- use your imagination:)  
I wish I could play the violin!  Click here for some of the most amazing violin music!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun post, Lottie! Your music makes me want to visit for quite a long time.
    1) I had the best time riding my scooter with my grandsons down our steep enough driveway. Boy, did I ever laugh out loud as I sailed and squealed with those precious boys. Since my knee surgery I have been put on probation with the scooter. |:)
    2) I worry more now as I am older about what I eat. Wished I would have been more careful when I was younger.
    3)Yes, my color scheme is historical country. I just love the warm colors of all our rooms.
    4)My husband makes the best grilled hamburger! I love ketchup, mustard, dill relish, tomato, onion and lettuce on mine. YUM!
    5)I would love to be able to play the piano. Just to be able to sit alone and play soft music finding peace and joy.
    As a young girl I had always wanted to play the flute, so beautiful.
    I enjoyed my visit here, Lottie.
    Have a beautiful blessed rest of the week-end.
    Joy! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cowboy competition looks like fun. Speaking of shooting, our Marine son has earned Sharpshooter status according to one of his recent letters. He may have earned Expert status since then as the test was going to be the day after his last letter. One of my 2nd great-grandpa's was a sharpshooter in the War Between the States. He was 16 years old at the time. I would love to be able to do that!

    I agree with you about the food. When we're young, we feel so invincible, but when we get to be older, we realize that we aren't. By then, it is too late because we're already paying for the folly of our youth. David and I both wish that we could go back and change our old eating habits. If we could, maybe he could have avoided diabetes completely and maybe I wouldn't be dealing with some of my health issues either. I am sorry that you are battling health issues, too.

    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lottie. I played violin in high school. I bought one later in life and thought of taking it up again but I ended it getting rid of it. I too have health issues because of poor eating in the past. Have a great Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Lottie.
    Thank you for your comment in my blog.
    The Cowboy Mounted Shooting sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most any food grilled is great but burgers off the grill are the best.

    I don't have any musical talent where instruments are concerned, it
    would be cool to be able to play the piano though.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete