Saturday, September 21, 2013

Open Letter to Betty

 This is an email I wrote to my friend, Betty, at My Irish Cottage Home. She posts on Wednesday about her weight loss journey. Like every normal person, weight loss is a series of ups and downs.  I wrote a post about how I intended to lose weight in August, and I did, but I gained it back. I'm still trying!
 
Dear Betty,

I just wanted to share that I finally  had a good weight loss week and lost 4 pounds!  It was really hard to do but I was finally mentally prepared to do it last week.  Also,
   
  #1  My husband was working out-of-state for the week so it was easier to control what was in the kitchen.

  #2  I ate up all the junk food the first two days he was gone.  There was nothing left but healthy food!

  #3  I wrote everything down in a food diary two days before I ate it, so I planned everything and cooked everything in advance!  Best thing I did!

Betty, I guess I just feel comfortable sharing this with you.  A few weeks ago I visited my doctor and told him about how I had started walking everyday back in July.  I asked him if I could get off or reduce some of the 5 medications I take.  He congratulated me on the walking but said there was another component to reducing medication  -  weight loss.  He told me to lose 20 pounds and continue the walking and then we would reduce medications.

I walked out of his office and wanted to cry as I walked across the parking lot.  I wanted to talk with you, because you understand how hard it is to lose and keep weight off.  It is so disheartening to try and try and still fail.  That day I thought it was impossible to lose 20 pounds! ( I was 70 pounds overweight).

But after this week of planning ahead and cooking, I think I have a chance. It was a pretty easy plan:  Cereal for breakfast, salad and lean protein for lunch, apple and cheese stick at 4,  lean protein and cooked vegetables and starch for dinner.  It was easy.  That's what I need... easy!
 
I think I can do this now.  Thank you for your inspiration and Weightloss Wednesdays!

Lottie

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Lottie. Your post meant alot to me. It is so hard to lose the weight as we get older and my problem in the past was to give up, but now it is not an option. Congrats on the 4 lbs. That is so good. We will get this weight off this time and keep it off no matter how long it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post and this link. I did not know of Betty's blog and her Wednesday posts. I've bookmarked it and will read tonight. Lottie, we must all cheer each other on. Diana of NanaDiana and Claudia of Mockingbird Hill Cottage both announced this week that they too are going off sugar. That made me feel a lot less lonely. I too hope that some day I can get my dr. to reduce my meds. We'll just keep at it. Talk to you more later.
    Love to you,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete