Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Chats on the Farmhouse Porch # 108


Time for my weekly chat on the farmhouse porch with Patrice.
Grab your coffee and join us!  
Today's five questions...

1.  Do you remember your first day of school?
I don't, but my mother took a picture of me so she could remember.  It was 1961 and she had given me a Shirley Temple perm the day before.  I looked mad in the picture, probably because I had to wear a dress (and shoes)!
 
2. Do you decorate for the different seasons? If so, have you decorated for fall yet?
I do, but now just my front door and side porch, and year around.  Before I retired, I decorated my whole house, especially the fireplace mantles and kitchen.  I have not decorated for fall yet because it is still summer until after Labor Day.
 
3.  What food do you associate with fall?
Pumpkin pie and cinnamon.  Also, pancakes and maple syrup!  And of course, lots of hot chocolate!  (No wonder I gain weight in the fall)
 
4.  Do you order books online, buy books in a bookstore, download books to a device, or frequent the library? If not interested in books, how do you get your music?
I have a reading list and every three weeks I make a trip to the library and check out as many books as I can carry out.  My husband does the same so we are talking about a lot of books.  If the library does not have a book I wanted (and it is not too expensive), I often order it online, read it, and donate it to the library.  I order quite a number of books online that I want to re-read and I don't mind downloading books to an e-reader at all.
 
5.  When was the last time you realized that you had just been talking to someone really special?
That's funny you should ask that.  I was just thinking the other day that everyone we meet in life is really special and has a story to tell. 

Thanks for dropping by...
If you would like to join our weekly conversations go to Everyday Ruralty on Tuesday and join in!
 
Lottie

8 comments:

  1. We are planning a big trip to New England for next year and I ordered a lot of used travel guides from Amazon. Even the ones rated as good were more that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad took first day of school pictures of all of us, every year. I think they all got lost in one of the hurricanes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many memories you brought back with these questions. I remember My Mom walking me to school. First grade, we did not have kindergarden back then. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year and I do decorate, love the smell of pumpkin pie baking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this talk of pumpkin pie has me craving some! lol

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2013/08/chats-on-porch-82713.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your answers, Lottie, and getting to know about you.

    My first day of school is vivid in my mind because my mother was in the hospital having my little sister. Daddy drove me to school, which I'd never seen before, stopped the car and told me to walk to the big open door where all the people were going in and that someone would tell me where to go. Me, she shyest child in the world. It was the most frightening thing I'd ever known. I've often wondered why, as he was a kind father. Maybe things were that different in those days and he didn't think anything about it. Maybe he was just rushed to get to his job after spending time at the hospital with Mama. It certainly did not start my school years off great. Can you imagine parents doing that today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Kindergarten, not a lot about the first day.
    Mom took me and walked me to class I'm sure.
    Love, love, love books and get them anyway I can.
    I decorate now but not like I use to-not a fan of
    putting everything away.
    Fall foods---comfort foods--yum.


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that I looked mad in most of the pictures taken of me back then, too. They always lined us up by height when it was time to have our pictures taken. I was the shortest person in the class (on the planet!) and I always had to be in front of the line. I didn't like that at all. Hide me behind everyone else, fine, but don't put me in front of everybody. :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete